National Healthcare Decision Day (NHDD) will be a week long in 2017!
The overall theme for 2017 is TBD, but the daily sub-themes are below:
- Sunday (4/16): Prepare
- A day to get resources together
- Monday (4/17): Start with Yourself
- A day to think about your own healthcare decisions
- Tuesday (4/18): Family/Friends/Loved Ones
- A day to discuss your wishes with others (and learn their wishes)
- Wednesday (4/19): Spread the Word
- A day to tell others that you've engaged in advance care planning and encourage them to do the same
- Thursday (4/20): Facilities Focus
- A day for healthcare providers of all sorts to promote advance care planning
- Friday (4/21): Professionals Preparedness
- A day to ensure that all professionals (healthcare, clergy, legal, and others) understand and can promote advance care planning
- Saturday (4/22): Reflection and Readiness
- Consider what worked well for NHDD week and file/share your advance care plans so they will be available if needed
Below are some specific ideas and suggestions for ways to implement National Healthcare Decisions Day (NHDD) activities in your community and at your facility
First and foremost, lead by example…be sure you have thoughtfully considered and made your own healthcare decisions known.
- Next, make sure everyone in your organization is informed about NHDD (including staff, board of directors, volunteers and others) and ask for their involvement to promote NHDD in your community. (Suggestion: Have staff wear a sticker that says “Ask Me About Advance Directives!” See sticker template located above in the Outreach Resources section.)
- Set up an exhibit about NHDD at your main entrance and offer information about advance care planning as people come by.
- Partner with other local organizations to promote NHDD. You will reach and benefit more people if you do this with others than alone!
- Distribute NHDD promotional materials and advance care planning educational brochures at upcoming community events or health fairs.
- Give a presentation to community organizations (i.e. Rotary Club, senior centers, workplace settings, faith communities, libraries, patient or family support groups, neighborhood associations) and to the public promoting NHDD and offering advance care planning resources.
- Sponsor a community event or “town hall’ meeting about advance care planning. Big events are more likely to generate media coverage than small presentations and they offer an opportunity for more in-depth dialogue with your community. (Suggestion: Ask your local bar association and healthcare organizations for volunteer speakers and/or ask local politicians to attend and publicly sign their own advance directive.)
- Provide a link on your organizational Web site to www.nhdd.org . This is a national Web site with a variety of information for the public and providers on advance care planning.
- Partner with your community library to set up a display highlighting books about advance healthcare decision-making and use NHDD promotional resources.
- Set up exhibit tables at your local malls, pharmacies, grocery stores, or other locations to provide information about advance care planning and advance directives.
- Partner with local retail businesses by asking them to place a promotional flyer about NHDD in every bag.
- Send out a press release about your NHDD activities and/or events to your local media.
- Publish an Op Ed, letter to the editor or a feature story about the importance of advance care planning in your local newspaper.
- Print advertisements in your local newspaper or other local publications, resource guides and newsletters about NHDD activities. (Suggestion: Ask to print the advertisements as public service announcements and see if they will also publish a copy of your state’s advance directive form.)
- Offer to provide a guest-speaker on health-related radio or TV programs about advance care planning and NHDD.
- Distribute flyers about NHDD in local physician offices and other strategic locations such as elevators in public buildings.
- Distribute information to patients at healthcare facilities with their mid-day meal.
- Encourage your state leaders to establish a state-sanctioned, secure on-line advance directive registry.
- Mention NHDD in your organization's/facility's telephone on-hold recording.
- Be creative about the topic of advance care planning.
If your organization has additional ideas for NHDD community activities that we can share with others, please contact us. Thank you for your support!
The following NHDD resources are for public use. There is no need to obtain further permission to use them, and you are welcome to customize as appropriate for your particular use/your particular state.
- Sample NHDD Tweets
- E-News and newsletter announcements about NHDD / Newsletter article about NHDD
- Recruitment letter about NHDD
- Sample email for national organizations
- Religious Organization Template email
- Facility email template
- Participant Feedback Form
- JoAnn's Story - PSA (30 seconds - Download)
- JoAnn's Story - PSA (Full length, 2 mins - Download)
- JoAnne's Story - PSA (30 seconds - YouTube)
- JoAnne's Stort - PSA (Full length, 2 mins - YouTube)
Materials & Collateral
- “Advance care planning is important because . . . “ Sign template (from Coalition for Compassionate Care of California)
- NHDD event poster template (with text), NHDD event poster template (blank)
- Origins of NHDD PPT
- Resuscitation Pause Poster
- NHDD sticker: Begin the Conversation
- NHDD stickers: Sticker logo PDF File / Sticker template (Compatible with Avery 5294 round labels)
- NHDD ad slick templates: full page; half page;
- “Randy and Sandy” (puppets) Advance Care Planning Clips
- NHDD Toolkit: Begin the Conversation
- NHDD Logos: JPG File, PDF File, EPS File
- Press Release for NHDD Community Activities
- NHDD Media Frequently Asked Questions
- NHDD Media Talking Points
- NHDD Radio Scripts (30 and 60 seconds) from the Center for Practical Bioethics
- Op Ed (written by Nathan Kottkamp, Chair, National Healthcare Decisions Day)
- NHDD Conversation Scripts
- Media Kits and Past Press Releases
- NHDD in the News
Events & Presentations
- 16 Ideas for NHDD (from Honoring Choices Wisconsin)
- Event planning checklist
- NHDD community outreach PowerPoint presentation
Is there an advance care planning resource you wish was available through NHDD? Please send us your idea via the contact form and we'll add it to our resource wish-list to work on for upcoming NHDD's.